Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Of Shallow and Deep Adventures in My Favorite City

I participated in the ultimate shallow activity last Friday: celebrity gawking!

On the eve of my annual weekend trip to New York City--my favorite city to visit (and where my dearest friend lives), another good friend of ours called and asked if I knew anything about movie stars Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. I replied that I know who they are, but only saw one film with Brad Pitt in it (The Twelve Monkeys--quite good!). So what about them?

B said they had come to her ward's school, where their eldest attends...at this outrageously expensive Lycee Francais de New York on the upper east side of Manhattan. Tuition hovers near $20k a year for one kid alone! Apparently, my friend missed being at a school party the day before, where Angelina came and was very amiable with the teachers, parents and nannies (mostly nannies), and took photos with them. Did I want to come along when I arrived in NYC on Friday when school ended to see her?

It didn't matter. Did I really care about Angelina and Brad or any other movie star for that matter? Just to be a pal, I said, sure why not! %-0

Since I don't own a cell phone, we wasted over an hour looking for each other around Macy's. Our friend kept reminding us to be specific where to meet (she was working); what could be more specific than meeting in front of Macy's, I thought? I just read off the bus ticket address of where it drops off passengers! My friend B took it literally, and went to the wrong place. She phoned our friend D, who told her no, you go to this end of the street! I ended up calling her from a pay phone after half an hour. We both arrived early, but managed not to see each other for over an hour, even though we were probably less than a 100 feet from each other the whole time! Macy's takes up A WHOLE BLOCK in NYC.

After a nice big lunch at Todai's, a sushi buffet, we rushed uptown on subway. School was going to be let out soon (my friend had the weekend off; her employers went to Bermuda with their families)...no bus in sight! B got anxious, called her nanny friends about any star sightings at school? Nope.

We stopped by her employers' building to drop off my rolling duffle bag for the day. It was a different place than last time I visited there. Some actor also lives there--one of the Baldwin brothers, in this swanky upper west side apartment. A three-bedroom flat can cost you only 8 million. That's all! But it was nice that I could just leave my bag behind the front desk for the day for the men at the desk (all in suits) to guard. ;-)

We were on the upper west side. My friend asked me again did I still want to go and try to catch Angelina? Sure, of course! You only live once! %-) I know she wanted to go more than me because she missed her the day before. But time was running out. So she hailed a taxi to cut across town through Central Park and around it to the upper east side...and blew more than eight dollars to get us there.

When we arrived at the corner, it was quite a sight, seeing lots of cute blond and brunette school children being gripped tightly by their nannies of different nationalities waiting to cross the street. One of B's nanny friends from Russia or some Slavic-speaking country was really funny when she described her experience meeting Angelina: "I felt bad for her, with everybody asking to take pictures with her and asking her autograph! So, I just put out my hand and said, 'Can I shake your hand?' and she did. I saw her three times already. That's enough for me. It's not exciting anymore."

Soon enough, people were gathering at the front gate of Lycee Francais and the commotion was getting louder, with paparazzi appearing out of nowhere! A black SUV drove up and there she was, with some pock-marked man who obviously wasn't her honey, but looked like a mean bodyguard type straight out of a Bond movie. It all happened so fast--she just walked into the gate and out: someone had her son ready to go (I didn't see him).

I couldn't bring myself to take her picture. I was feeling guilty: I'd be invading her privacy. I already was, just standing there gawking with everyone else! And I must admit, I was also feeling pretty shallow at that moment! ;-( But it was rather exciting I must admit, being part of a scene I only see on tv news! :-0 It was enough for me just to observe her and the crowd.

B couldn't believe I didn't take a photo. I told her the reasons why, as stated in the paragraph above, and she understood. Besides, everybody rushed to the front, including photographers, so I let them push past me. The funny thing was, B didn't really like Angelina much--it was just a celebrity "rush"...the excitement of seeing movie star.

I wonder how many people living in the Big Apple make a point of engaging in star gazing?

Apparently, those few minutes Angelina was there got caught on some website, probably dealing with entertainment gossip. Tonight, my dear friend D emailed me the photo of her appearance that day, from the opposite angle, which showed our pal B smiling and holding up the camera. Where were you, J, she asked--weren't you there also? Yes I was...I let myself get pushed back by the crowd and just enjoyed absorbing the whole scene. :-)

It seems that once someone becomes a public figure--particularly a movie star, everybody takes liberty of calling that person by his or her first name. Guilty me! I write "Angelina and Brad" but only refer to family and friends by their initial for privacy. Perhaps I shouldn't feel so guilty about that, since by virtue of entering certain professions, you run the risk of becoming famous. ;-) I can't imagine what life would be like for the celebrities' children, apart from a life of luxury...to have paparazzi and the public watching your every move would be enough to drive anyone crazy. No one in their right mind wants to be under a constant microscope.

So much for dreams of being famous! ;-D If I were to achieve notoriety in my lifetime, may it be for a worthy cause, such as championing the rights of women to be treated as equally as men as human beings, so that they may enjoy the same fair treatment in courts, in society, and at home.

Later, we spent the next several hours at the Metropolitan Museum of Art because I really wanted to see the special exhibition of one of my favorite artists, Rembrant van Rijn, and other Dutch painters of the period. I was pleasantly surprised B didn't mind going because when she went to a special exhibition on Dada-ism at MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) last year with our friend D, she complained she didn't understand any of it; it was too weird! I loved it! I saw it by myself on the Target Free Friday night. ;-)

I got to visit the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens with D the next day, for free. There was just a two hour time frame when the public can visit for free on Saturdays. We just had barely half an hour to spare we when arrived; it took over an hour to get from Bronx, where she lives, to Brooklyn. I'd never been to Brooklyn before. (I always try to do something different when I visit!). It was very nice, especially the Japanese Garden. But since it was October, there wasn't a whole lot to see...so good thing we went in free!

Amazingly, there were quite a few rose bushes still alive with blooming (and dying) roses. It boggled my mind that there were SO many different varieties. Come in spring next time, D said. It's beautiful then...so colorful. :-)

We went to a birthday party for a 3 year old--or rather, post-party snacking.;-) Then we headed over to another friend's 77th birthday. This lady is a real character. Everybody in the building calls her Mommy. Even me. She was all gussied up in a green gown (for good luck--and green for money!), even though red is her favorite color, like mine! All her friends wanted to take photos with her, so she posed with them like a Filipina starlet! Mommy's a shrewd business woman who knows how to party and dance and eat! I met all these people on previous visits, so they're almost like an extended family in the northeast for me: always trying to make me eat even when I've already eaten! %-0

D and I escaped the party scene (my belly was SO full after two party eatings) so she could pick up her camera from her niece's coworker in their ice cream shop in uptown Manhattan. Then we went downtown and took the tram across the harbor to Roosevelt Island. It was less than 10 minutes, but it was fun being in the air, like a ski lift (which I've never been on)! Nice and breezy evening after a stifling hot and humid July-like day in October. Not to be missed for a fabulous nightime view of the city!

I didn't even know a tram existed in NYC! Round trip using our metro pass is just two dollars. D told me it was in a movie with Sylvester Stallone where he had to rescue the people on it in a very outrageous plot that can only happen in the movies. Good thing I wasn't there last fall: the tram got stuck at night for SIX HOURS before the occupants got rescued by having to transfer to either a helicopter or to the tram going the opposite direction! %-0

We took a break while waiting for the tram to return us to Manhattan and strolled along the walkway. D said that side of the harbor used to be really polluted. It was also a favorite place for the Mafia to dispose of those who disappointed them in some way! %-0 That part of the harbor is apparently cleaned up now.

Like the night before, I didn't get back until 12:30 or so! We slept in Sunday, which made D and B miss Mass. We went directly to The Cloisters museum.

The Cloisters is part of the Metropolitan Musuem of Art and dedicated to art and art and architecture of the European Middle Ages. It's a castle on a hill! VERY cool! Lots of history behind the art there. And a very nice place to rest and have peace, especially with Gregorian chants in the background. A must see for anyone who appreciates art and history. The gardens are beautiful, too. :-)

We got in for free, thanks to the invitation of the niece of D's employer. Imagine the looks on the staff's faces when she said she knows JL. So the guy calls JL to say there's someone here named M (her formal name), while another staffer sneers under her breath, "Yeah...one of those kinds...!" :-( "What did you say your name was?" the guy asks. "M", says my friend D, "tell her I work for her aunt K" HAH! How many people can claim that?

JL is high-up there on the administrative staff at The Cloisters, in charge of most of the staffers after 11 years, starting out as a cashier! She was a really pleasant young woman, barely in her 30s and very tall! She took us where almost no one is allowed to go: the top of the castle tower where the president's office is. Really nice office! ;-) It had almost panoramic views of Bronx, some of Manhattan and New Jersey from afar. While we were inside chatting, an older gentleman opened the door to peek in and just for a moment, my friends and I felt like guilty schoolgirls and thought, "Oh shit! J is going to lose her job!"

But J was very nonchalant and said, "Hi! Just showing my friends around!" and introduced us. Can't remember his name or title but I know he was up there in The Cloisters powers that be. He was just wondering what was going on since he noticed that the president's office door was open! ;-0

JL was very sweet and accomodating in her busy schedule and invited us to come at any time. Just tell the people at the front desk to ask for me, she said. Do we really want to endure the scutiny of the staff again? ;-) In any case, she added, be sure to see the film XYZ (can't remember the name--has the word "zero" in it!) coming out in November; it stars Elijah Wood. (I don't know who he is!) She's playing a party girl! JL is a part-time actress on her days off managing the staff at The Cloisters.

We ate Thai food at a popular place that night; D treated us. It was so popular (and so tiny a place) that there were long waiting lines outside. We ordered a whole red snapper; being Asian, we all expected the fish to fill the platter! But this sucker must have been a baby fish! %-0 No head (not that I care about the head), but it only occupied half the platter! A rip-off for the price charged!

It was pretty tasty food. I'm not a big fan of Thai food because they usually give too little for too much $$. And I'm not that fond of coconut milk on non-dessert food. Those waitresses couldn't wait to get rid of us; we ourselves had to wait 40 minutes for a table.

B wanted to go to a bar called Tao, next to the Four Seasons Hotel, where one goes to be seen, like celebrities. So we went, at the recommendation of one fast-talking and jovial concierge (or staff) at the apt where her employers live and where she works as nanny to their daughters.

Unfortunately, B chickened out, which irritated D. As soon as D said, "Of the three of us, you are the best suited to go inside and take a look! You look sexy and well-dressed! Look at me and J! We look like tourists!", a very tall, svelte blonde and her equally tall male companion walked out of the Four Seasons Hotel and walked by us. He wasn't particularly handsome, but he looked like he could have been some Bollywood movie star with his shiny, black ,wavy hair, his sharp designer suit and oh yes...the way he held that cigar! So very sophisticated, my dear! %-) He gave us an amused smile, not a smirk or sneer, but a sort of look that said, "Oh really? You three actually think you will walk into Tao?!" He had quite an aura about him! However, I thought his look was bordering on the vacuous Calvin Klein model gaze!

D and I saw his look and burst out laughing! B didn't see it and was puzzled. "Now I am challenged, to go visit Tao!" D announced. "That look he gave us! That amused look! C'mon J! Let's go in! B doesn't have the guts to go in!" At that, we dumped my backpack and D's handbags onto B and marched right into Tao, behind the sleek and suave Beautiful People.

It was warm, dark, and smoky in there, with large golden statues of Buddha at the entrance inside and way inside. Standing behind a line of the Beautiful People, the first question we heard from the host at the podium was, "Do you have a reservation?" That did it! We turned around and took business cards and matchboxes and headed out. Me in my shorts and t-shirt, D in her capris and t-shirt. ;-) It was like sneaking into a forbidden place. And we can thank our supposed Bollywood star for inspiring us! We might as well have been ants to his mind.

Again, we didn't get home until past midnight!

Monday, before I left, I was able to buzz through the Pearl River Mart on Broadway St. A three-story store full of mostly Chinese wares, art, furniture, clothes and food. Got a lot of Xmas shopping done there for the in-laws. Such deals! :-D Not enough time to shop! %-( Actually, I had planned to spend a few hours there, but B had some plans in store for me, like eating lunch first at her friend's store.

I had to think fast: no use getting upset! I didn't want to leave a bad taste in her mouth and be temperamental and appear ungrateful. It's more important to spend time with friend than shop, isn't it? So we compromised. :-) But I didn't get to food shop for Chinese veggies which are much cheaper than where I live, for the most part. I only had a little over an hour, so I just grabbed stuff, although I had my Xmas list. Got everything I wanted for them, which is good because they were cheap (but expensive if I'd looked for them online, if you include shipping). :-)

Too bad I got on the wrong bus going home! %-0 Never been kicked off a bus before. But at least I got off before they took off! I was extremely upset, mostly at myself.
Hubby says I'm a volcano! %-0 I went stomping in the waiting area to ask what was going on?! They started speaking Cantonese to me (this was a Chinatown bus service and had to say, STOP! I don't speak Chinese!

Nobody pointed out which bus to take--I saw only one marked bus, which the agent pointed out when I first arrived. There was a white bus with just designs but no name--it was in traffic, so I thought it was some random bus! Oh well! I had to wait two hours for the next and last bus to Wilmington. I read for a while to calm myself down, then decided I had better eat. I left my heafy duffel bag at the mercy of strangers, at the end of a sofa, and went three doors down to a humble eatery where they filled my styrofoam container full of rice and three vegetarian dishes I chose--all for a whopping $3.24!! ;-) Very homey tasting! Made my belly happy! ;-) I love eating at places like that! This time I took the food back to the bus company's waiting room and ate in front of everyone. Some people were eating. Two women spied on me eating away for some time, walked out, and then came back with food.:-)

I didn't get home until past 11:30 p.m. But that's okay. My annual whirlwind weekend with my dearest friend and company was the best kind of fun! We are free to be ourselves and be as wild and crazy as we want! :-D

I love NYC. Even w/o my friend being there, I still love it, although her and her friends' presence makes it that much more pleasant! I've spent almost whole days exploring the city on my own. SO much going on there! Hence, the city that never sleeps. I don't know that my mind ever sleeps either. Hubby always says I' m a restless spirit on an endless flight. It's the maddening intensity of the place that I am drawn to. Maybe that's why I love visiting the Big Apple. :-)

No comments: