Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Knocking Down Doors

I have an itching desire to take over the world.

BWAHHAHAHAHAHA!! %-D

Why, you ask?

I can't say exactly, but I think my burning passion can be attributed to a combination of factors: being silent throughout my life and getting severely tired of that, a growing indignation at the injustices directed toward women--with impunity, here and abroad, and a growing confidence about myself in that I am more sure than ever of my values and beliefs--as well as taking physicist Richard Feynman's words to heart: what do you care what other people think?

Communication was my major in college, but I think many forget that communication doesn't always have to be verbal. It can be conveyed through body language. Or through art and music. Or it can be written.

To date, I have written three letters to my state senator regarding the status of women here and abroad. On his website, he states that he can only reply to his fellow state citizens. I called him to it in the last letter, mentioning that I had hoped to hear from him and not a staff member. Today was the third letter I sent to him, via his website. I have a burning question for him and I intend to keep bothering him until I receive a response.

Last week, I wrote a loud letter to our state public transportation peeps denouncing their short-sighted bus changes. They cut off my main artery, so to speak: the main bus I take. Now I have to take two buses to get to where I want to go. They did not make-up for this in any way: most people have to rely on another bus route that is very often unreliable to connect to my main bus, and for frequent evening riders, there's a long wait for the unreliable bus at the new hub to take us back into town. I thought that they would at least extend the hours of the new trolley, but they didn't, and it's been a headache for many. :-( I asked them if they didn't care about the safety of their riders? If so, then prove it by making the other bus' schedule more amenable to my bus and/or extending the hours of our trolley. It is SO frustrating!

If I don't hear from them, I will keep bothering them, like I have my state senator. There are two public hearings each year to air out with the public transportation people. I resolved today to show up at the next one with my list of grievances (and solutions!) because I missed my taekwondo class. The bus was way late and I couldn't wait for it any longer; it would've made me miss the connecting bus. I used to have a direct connection right outside my apt complex. No more. :-((

I've been stoking my activist volcanic fires in the last year by voraciously reading as much as I can manage. When I find a gem, I like to leave my two cents' worth on amazon.com. ;-) Why not? Whether I'm the first reviewer or the 15th, I like to challenge myself to write as clearly as possible. In being one of many reviewers, I want to say something different...or at least, the same thing in a different way!

Lately, I've taken an interest in philosophy, in order to think more clearly, better argue my viewpoints, as well as listen more critically to what others say. Of course, part of my reason to study philosophy is to become an activist in my fields of interest. The other part is my heroine and inspiration, Simone de Beauvoir, whose work I am obsessed with.

I don't particularly envision myself as one who would jump on a soapbox and make public speeches, but who knows?! I think I'd probably be more effective in the writing realm. Write powerful, subversive pieces to shake up the masses!! ;-D

I am inspired by those who remained activists for social justice throughout their lives, like Eleanor Roosevelt, Rosa Parks, Alice Paul, and many others. They never tired of their work...they had fire in their bellies! Remember, age is only a number.

I want to be active until my last breath. :-)




“There is something in every one of you that waits and listens for the sound of the genuine in yourself. It is the only true guide you will ever have. And if you cannot hear it, you will all of your life spend your days on the ends of strings that somebody else pulls.”

--Howard Thurman (1899-1981)
American theologian, author, philosopher, educator, and civil rights leader




No comments: