Friday, July 25, 2008

Sexism Sells, But I'm Not Buying It

Do you not know I am a woman? when I think, I must speak. ~William Shakespeare, As You Like It




Recently, I added my name to The Women's Media Center's campaign Sexism Sells, But We're Not Buying It, a video and online petition campaign illustrating the pervasive nature of sexism in the media’s coverage.

The WMC meets with executives to share their concerns, and also welcomes its members to contribute their comments--which they also share with the top dogs. Today, I felt compelled to give them my thoughts:

* * * *

I believe the progress of a nation can be measured by how it treats its women. Based on recent and current media coverage of Senator Clinton, Michelle Obama, and Cindy McCain, we have a long ways to go.

Women make up half of humanity. And yet we are still greatly disrespected both here and abroad. Sexism in media coverage only serves to infect the public's mind that they should devalue women. Even the smallest, dumbest, most trivial comments can go a long way in keeping humanity from progressing forward.

WHY can't the media give as much attention to a woman's achievements as it does to her dress, hair, makeup, laugh quality, and other non-important details? WHY are you, the media, so afraid to view a woman as a strong, smart, human being? When a woman expresses her opinions in a forceful way, she's jumped upon by critics in the media--as well as presented in an almost disdainful manner. She's regarded as a bitch because those who report her comments when she speaks her mind aleady present her in a negative light, consciously or subconciously, due to their own biases.

I find it rather ironic that there are, and have been, women leaders of much more traditionally patriarchial nations; maybe their media doesn't have the luxury of wasting a lot of time on picking apart trivial details of a female candidate or the wives of presidential candidates.

Does the American media REALLY think the public cares about the way Senator Clinton laughs? What color her pantsuit is that she has on today? HOW does it KNOW that Mrs. Obama is an angry black woman? WHY does the country NEED to know about Mrs. McCain's assets or inheritance?

It seems to me there is a lot of anti-woman sentiment in the media and our government. As I stated in the beginning, I believe the progress of a nation can be measured by how it treats its women.

No comments: